Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

spool people and art.



I've enjoyed making things, painting things, "crafting" for as long as I can remember. My mom is an amazing painter and showed us how to use paint brushes properly, how to use acrylics, different techniques to use, and how to be creative and find a solution to get the result you want. Mom came over the other day and we were in the middle of making "spool people" as a break from all the chlorine. She laughed and said, " Wow, this brings back memories." The kiddos and some friends were all at the table, the acrylics were out, they each had a cup for washing brushes, a paper towel, and a paper plate as a paint palette, just as I did so many years ago when paint salt dough, wood shapes, and canvas with my mom. I loved the little people they came up with and honestly, they were so much fun I am ready to have a day dedicated to making spool people.


There may be a lot of things my children don't know, but they know how to take care of paint brushes, they know that you have to wash your brush between colors pretty early on.
Mess doesn't bug me, not when it's art. Spilled paint on the wood floor... I could care less. My children know that they don't get in trouble when the art table is covered in papers, paint, markers and glue. I will ask them to clean it up, but not until after I have seen the wonderful creation they have come up with. There are no rules when it comes to creating. Scissors, markers, glitter, boxes, string... I say bring it on and show me what you come up with. So if you are wondering why my children may have glitter in their hair, marker stains on their clothes, fingers covered in paint... now you know.

No comments:

 
09 10