Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wholesome Oatmeal Cookies


For being SO darn healthy, these cookies tasted great. I didn't have zucchini on hand so I substituted it for applesauce, but I think the zucchini would taste very good. I think next time I may also try to substitute honey for the brown sugar. I'll let you know how it goes. But as far as this time went.... mmmmm (and I had way too many.)

Oatmeal Raisin/ Everything Wholesome Cookies

adapted from Deceptively Delicious Cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
6 Tbsp. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread- make sure there is no partially hydrogenated oil-,
chilled (you can just use butter)
1/2 cup banana puree
1/2 cup zucchini puree
1 large egg white
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and stir to mix. In a large bowl, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon until just combined; do not overmix. Add the banana and zucchini purees, and the egg white, and stir just to blend. Add the flour mixture, raisins, and walnuts, if using, and stir to combine. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonsful onto the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch in between. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 4-5 minutes, just until they are firm enough to handle, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Notes:
I didn't have any zucchini, so I used 3/4 cup banana and 1/4 cup applesauce. They turned out just as good. I also added a Tbs. of ground flax seed and super fine chopped walnuts. (The kids had no idea.)

No comments:

 
09 10